By Jesse Jones, The Paper. — Almost a year ago, Mayor Tim Keller told reporters the city needs 100 more Safe Outdoor Spaces for its homeless population but the city council has never gotten on board with authorizing zoning and ordinance changes to get anywhere close. Even now, the city has only one privately run Safe Outdoor Space. So Keller is going around the council to open a city-run space in the Gateway West homeless shelter, but even the funding for that one is on shaky ground.
At a press conference last week, Gilbert Ramirez, director of health, housing and homelessness, said the proposed site would offer a lower-stress alternative for unhoused people who avoid traditional shelters. It would include 15 to 50 pads for single men, women, couples and pets, along with water, electricity and portable hygiene trailers. According to a mayoral press release, the site will be city-owned, but Ramirez said the city plans to hire an outside operator to run it. The proposal differs from Albuquerque’s only other managed space at New Creation Church, a privately run site capped at 10 people to limit neighborhood impact.

Keller said the city has funding for site preparation and construction but still needs City Council approval for operating costs. However, Councilor Nichole Rogers told City Desk the administration has not formally asked the council to fund the project. Before budget hearings began, Councilor Stephanie Telles told City Desk the site lacked dedicated funding because the administration did not submit a standalone budget request. Instead, according to housing department spokesperson Kaleena Madruga, the estimated $750,000 for operations is folded into the broader Homeless Support Services budget line.
The City Council’s May 18 budget reshuffle may have derailed the funding. According to Madruga, the department is reviewing final budget documents to determine “if the appropriation remained in the budget.” During the budget process, councilors cut $530,000 from the Homeless Support Services line item and earmarked $100,000 for the HopeWorks day shelter. A separate attempt by Councilor Stephanie Telles to inject $500,000 back into Homeless Support Services failed.

